Thursday, August 24, 2006

Finally getting settled in

There's actually several things I want to write about, but I thought finalizing the look and details of the place were more important. I'm quite pleased with the design. The banner is an actual reed that I photographed while camping last weekend (that's one of the stories I need to tell soon). I rested it on two camp chairs and put my car keys on it to make it bend. Then I Photshopped that bad boy out, found a cool Ionic capital column pic, et voila, my new kick-ass banner. I'm so damn proud of myself. Mad skillz, y'all.

Thanks for the inaugural comments you left, but now they're gone, in favor of Haloscan commenting. It hasn't updated the text on my comment links yet, but that should come soon.

Before I dive in and start writing, there are going to have to be some changes here to guard against being found by my coworker:

1. No mention of where I live or where I am traveling. I'm adopting Bliss' "hometown" method of vague-osity.

2. No mention of that "Last Weekday Offspring Posting" feature from the old place. I'll keep doing those posts over there, as well as some random posts now and then to throw her off. I'll probably also post pics of our upcoming Europe trip there, if I actually get around to it (remember my Hawai'i trip pics I never posted?).

3. New nicknames for my spouse and sons, and probably just a lot less mention of them altogether. I often tell stories in my office of what's going on with my family, and I don't want that to be searchable. That said, the little one's first birthday is this Saturday!!! Hooray!!!

4. No more iPod tracking. Yes, I'm that paranoid.

5. I'm going to be vague about the sports teams and bands I follow. That's probably overly cautious, but I'm sure you're all sick of hearing about them anyway.

6. I'm still deciding about linking to my daily trivia quiz here. I'm keeping it on the old blog, and will probably link it here, too, but with a different name. I don't think she's savvy enough to search for sites that link to my trivia page, especially since I don't think she's ever clicked that link on the old blog.

7. As I've requested, no one who is linked on my old site should link to me here. I think I'm going to rip off an idea from one of you and link to blogs using pictures, so she can't search for those names and find my links.

8. I may take this rebirthing opportunity to be a bit more, shall we say, raunchy in my writing and linking. I know that doesn't really do it for some of you, but maybe less filters will make my writing more enjoyable overall. Especially if you enjoy swearing and big boobies.

9. Last and most important, no work talk whatsoever. No complaining about coworkers, or assignments, no talk of how bored or lazy I am. Feel free to keep me in line if you catch me slipping.

So that's it. Welcome to the New Jan Brady, ummm, I mean The Slender Reed.