Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Like a whale coming up for air...

So do I periodically rise to write a short, insignificant post. Here are a couple things on my mind:

I went to Portland last weekend to chaperone and semi-coach a college mock trial team. I also judged some rounds. It was really fun, even though appellate-style moot court was way more my thing in law school than doing trials. The team has asked me to be their coach next year, and the school may even create a class and hire me as an adjunct professor to teach it! That's pretty exciting. Whatever happens, I'm going to have to do a lot of brushing up on trial advocacy.

I still can't really believe the Patriots lost the Super Bowl. Sure, the Giants' D-line played really well and hassled Brady, but the Giants victory came down to being really lucky on their last drive. Two dropped interceptions, a foiled sack, and Tyree's most unlikely of catches combined to kill the Pats. Other than Manning getting free of the sack, he didn't really perform that well on the drive. He wasn't efficient, wasn't really that composed. It just shouldn't have ended that way. Fuck!

I found out last night that while I was in Portland, one of my favorite musicians was also in town giving a concert that I didn't know about. That kind of sucked.

Speaking of music, I may have found a new band I like. I didn't really find them. This band is kind of the hot new indie thing, I think. They are what Clap Your Hands Say Yeah were a year or so ago: a minimalist, neo-New Wave band from New York creating a lot of buzz. I don't really care for such bands, but this band has something vey interesting to their sound. The band is called Vampire Weekend, and the only way to really describe their music is lo-fi pop with an African tinge. Kind of like The Talking Heads recording with Paul Simon's Graceland band, but catchier and less intricate. You can check them out on their Myspace page, where they have 4 songs for listening. I've only heard those 4 songs, so I'm not entirely sure how much I like them. But the initial listening has drawn me in. They're supposed to play a show in my home town in late March, and I'm going to try to see the show.

Lost is kicking so much ass this season, it's really not fair to any other show. SOOOOO fucking good. I'm excited about the strike being over, but really, all I care about is Lost. Thankfully, the strike's end means that they'll be able to film the rest of Lost's 13-episode season.

I haven't seen any movies I've wanted to for several months, and nothing that's up for an Oscar. I'm pulling for Daniel Day Lewis because I'm his bitch. From what I've read about Hal Holbrook's "Into the Wild" performance and long career, I think it would be cool for him to win Supporting Actor, even though Javier Bardem will probably run away with it. That's about the extent of my Oscar interest this year.

That's all for now. Talk to you again sometime.