Thursday, August 24, 2006

Oy vey, what a headache!

Some anonymous commenter brought up the possibility of your names being searchable in the comments. So I checked it out and it appears that if you search within the Haloscan domain you can find comments left by people whose comment names you know. So what do we do now, S? Are we supposed to take on all new identities just so you can avoid some awkwardness with your coworker? No, because I've done some testing, and even if the comment pages get found, those pages don't refer to the blog (as long as I keep my url out of my Haloscan cookie). Even though I've put the column picture on the comment page, neither the blog title nor the url appear anywhere on the page. And before you ask, "But what about the ever so tell-tale Haloscan url?" I've already thought of that, and set my Haloscan username as different than my current or former blog alias. It would take some serious, devoted, and time-consuming work to find the blog that way, and I doubt that she's willing to make that kind of investment. Besides, she's supposed to not suspect that I have a new site at all, so I feel pretty good.

Okay, anything else I may not have thought of? Let me know in the comments, with your normal names.