Monday, August 28, 2006

Shake and Bake

I had the pleasure of seeing Talladega Nights this weekend, and it was funnier than I thought it was going to be. It had all the silly gags and goofy stuff I knew it would, but some of the dialogue was smarter than I expected. I guess we can thank Judd Apatow's influence for that. John C. Reilly (who according to IMDB was also in Days of Thunder) should definitely get more comic roles. He's just gold. I was pretty disappointed, though in Sacha Baron Cohen's performance as Jean Girard. I was hoping for so much more from his gay French Formula 1 driver. I also thought Amy Adams was way underused. Jane Lynch was great as Ricky's mom, and Gary Cole was good as his dad, but Sam Rockwell would have rocked the shit out of that role.

We also saw John Tucker Must Die, and man, did it blow! Not only was it the stupidest movie I've seen in a long time, but Jenny McCarthy was fully clothed and acted all mature and stuff. Not using her for T&A and/or comedy is just a waste. Maybe I'm just getting old, but when a movie implies that merely knowing who Cheap Trick and Elvis Costello are makes someone cool in a deep way, I want to lob grenades at the screen. The best thing about the movie was the Motion City Soundtrack song at the closing credits. But it was a night out, so that was good.

Watched a bit of the Emmy's too, and while I was happy to see 24 get the love, Gregory Itzin was seriously robbed. I don't care how good Alan Alda was in The West Wing, the newly devious President Logan deserved the trophy.

I guess that's all for now.