Wednesday, February 21, 2007

TV Update

It's been really hard for me to watch all the shows I want since getting the gym membership. Good news is, we're getting some results from all the working out, but I don't like having to wait up to a week to watch an episode. So I'm going to devote this post to only two things: one short commentary and one topic I've never discussed here before.

1. Veronica Mars. Holy shit, was last night's ep good! They intertwined the two mysteries very well, and I loved the fact that both were complicated, serious cases instead of one Scooby Doo mystery of the week with the heavier, multi-episode arc in the background. Both were high-stakes and both were in the forefront. But the greatest thing about the episode was the end! I'm still shocked by it, and not sure how I feel about the development. I think two of my readers actually watch the show, and you've probably both seen the episode, but I'll refrain from talking about it for now in case you haven't seen it. Suffice to say, it was the biggest WOW moment of the season for me, even bigger than the fall finale!

2. I like cartoons. I'm not talking about The Simpsons, Family Guy, Adult Swim, etc. I'm talking kid channel cartoons. Having two young boys has exposed me to many an animated series, and I've become fans of several. I feel no shame for this because it's obvious that these shows aren't written only for kids. Watch SpongeBob or Fairly Odd Parents and you'll see that there are things in there that no kid could get. So yeah, I love SpongeBob, Odd Parents, Danny Phantom, Ben 10, Power Puff Girls, and Justice League (although I haven't seen JL Unlimited yet). I even have a little crush on Kim Possible. But one cartoon has become a true favorite, one that I watch whenever I can, and DVR old eps I've missed.

It's called Avatar: The Last Airbender and it's totally awesome. It's a very large scale, martial arts epic set in a mythical, Asian-influenced world. The world is comprised of 4 nations based on the 4 elements of nature: Air, Water, Earth, and Fire. Certain members of each nation can manipulate, or "bend", their nation's namesake element, meaning they can use it as a tool or weapon. There is an individual in the world who has mastered bending all of the elements, and whose job it is to maintain balance between the nations and the elements. This individual is called The Avatar, and is a spirit that is continuously recycled into a new body after the former one dies. The series starts with the Fire Nation (the bad guys) having waged war on the rest of the world for 100 years while the current incarnation of the Avatar is lost. He is discovered as a boy, frozen in the ice at the south pole. His name is Aang. He is the last surviving member of the Air Nation, 12 years old, and has to learn quickly how to master all the elements so he can stop the rampaging Fire Nation and save the world. He is accompanied by the two teen siblings who found him, members of the Water Tribe.

It's a fascinating series, with a very detailed and well-thought out backstory as well as a captivating plot going forward. It also has very well drawn and choreographed fight scenes that can get your adrenaline pumping like a Jet Li movie. I highly recommend it if you ever get the chance. It's on Nickelodeon, and is currently in reruns before season 3 starts. I presume that the creators plan on wrapping up the story in four seasons, one for each element, but I'm not sure. Whatever the plan, I hope that Nick keeps it on until they complete the story. It's so good, I care as much about its characters and the fate of their world as I do about the Lost survivors and Jack Bauer. For that, my wife likes to snicker at me. But check it out for yourself and you'll see.