Friday, August 24, 2007

The Virus Has Struck

As most of you probably know, I have two young boys. One is about to turn 2 (THIS SUNDAY!) and the other is 7. The 7 year old is very much a "boy's boy". He loves guns and video games and cars and wrestling and action movies. He's a sweet boy, but he loves his violence, too. That's why I thought that we were immune to the sickness that has swept the nation over the past two years. Unfortunately I was wrong.

My son now loves High School Musical.

Last night he couldn't stop singing and dancing at the dinner table, singing a small section of an HSM2 song over and over and over (and over and over). He saw the movies at his cousins' house. I didn't think it would take with him so strongly, but he's growing up and moving on from only liking cartoons to liking live-action fare. He loves Nickelodeon's "Drake and Josh" and "Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide", which is not so bad. I dig Nick cartoons, and there's some funny stuff on D&J and Ned's. (Although I do worry that my son will think that every pretty girl in high school is a whore because they all kiss Drake at the drop of a hat.) Unfortunately he also likes shows from that member of the Evil Triumvirate,* Disney. Hannah Montana, The Suite Life of Zach and Cody, and now High School Fucking Musical. What's a dad to do? I'm sure he'll grow out of it. Maybe this spring when we start him in lacrosse. Hopefully he and his teammates won't break into an impromptu rendition of "Get Your Head in the Game" on the practice field, though.


Now, in "musicals that hopefully don't suck" news, my wife is taking me to Spamalot for my birthday! I'm very excited. She asked me what I wanted for my birthday, and told her just gift cards for music. But then I saw a billboard for Spamalot and called her to tell her about it. She tried to play ignorant for a while but couldn't. She had already bought tickets weeks before. I love my wife!

Have a great weekend, folks!


* The other two being, of course, Coke and McDonald's.