Monday, May 21, 2007

Main Course - Weekend review

Want to know how to make a grown man cry?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The boys soccer team I coached gave me a ball signed by all the players after our last game this weekend! I'm such a softie, I was already getting teary during my last pep talk about how much I loved coaching them. Then they brought this out. I didn't actually cry, but my words were definitely choked. They even gave me and my family two gift cards!

The game was a great one, too. Closely played, and tied late. We ended up winning when my son scored a goal on a cross from his teammate. They've made me so proud the last few weeks, actually showing me that they learned what I had taught them about passing and getting open. I'd love to do it again, but not sure if I will.

Now for what I watched:

TV - Still catching up on a lot of shows on the DVR. I watched the second to last Earl episode and loved it! I was a little slow on the Rudy uptake (duh!), but halfway through realized what they were doing. Hilarious!

Movies - Saw Spiderman 3, and I'm glad I did. Let's face it, it's an event movie. You almost have to. But I wasn't very impressed. Lots of awful dialog, corny and unsubtle imagery for Peter's dark side (when the reviews said emo, I didn't know they actually gave Spidey Pete Wentz's haircut), and lots of general silliness that didn't belong in the movie (Bruce Campbell's funny cameo and the "OMGWTF!!!11!" jazz club scene). The action sequences were good, and the scene of Sandman waking up after his transformation is Visual Effects Oscar-worthy (although I'm sure Transformers or Pirates will get it). The villains were okay, although their end was kind of abrupt. And Bryce Dallas Howard was pretty hot.

I also saw Breach, starring Ryan Phillippe, Chris Cooper, Laura Linney, and CAROLINE DHAVERNAS!! (Yes, Jaye from Wonderfalls! That was a pleasant surprise.) The movie was good. It had a constant, quiet suspense to it. I could barely find a time to open my Rollo candies, it was so quiet. Ryan Phillippe's performance was meh, but Chris Cooper again kicks ass. I don't know if his performance is believable from a true-story standpoint, but just from a movie perspective, his creepy paranoid villain is the highlight of the film. The most remarkable thing about the film though, was that there were at least 6 instances of blatant boom mic sightings. I understand that this may be due to an error of projection and not bad filmmaking, but it's very distracting and damaging to whatever dramatic mood the film is trying to set. I recommend the movie, though, if you're looking for a cheap diversion.

Dessert to come!