Thursday, December 21, 2006

Merry Christmas to ME!

Posting's light this week since there are no new shows on. But I got one hell of a TV present last night.

I love The Daily Show and Colbert Report, but don't get to watch them very often. For some reason, I recorded them last night and was treated to a smorgasbord of hilarity that was:

Stephen Colbert's Rock and Awe: Countdown to Guitarmageddon!!!

Holy crap was it funny! I thought Colbert's "Pop Culture, it's Crumbelievable!" show was good, but last night's blew it out of the water in scope, ambition, and execution. I never heard about the ongoing "feud" between Stephen and The Decemberists, but it came to a laugh out loud conclusion with the help of several celebrity guests including Rick Nielsen (of Cheap Trick fame) and Peter Frampton, Elliot Spitzer (yes, the soon to be Governor of New York), and Henry Fucking Kissinger!!!

My only complaint was that the guitarist for the Decemberists, Chris Funk, did a really lame guitar solo. Not that he's a shredder by trade, but it helps to use minor scales, dude. Go back to rock school with Yo La Tengo.

If you have the time and bandwith, find the episode online. Brilliant!