Monday, November 20, 2006

This Week's TV Post, About Last Week's Shows

Life is so busy that we don't get around to watching most shows until several days after they air. This makes up-to-date commenting hard, but I know you all like my analysis so much you're willing to wait. So here goes:

Desperate Housewives - Good. I like the mystery this season, but not much else is blowing me away. Although the scene in the new neighbor's house was pretty creepy.

Heroes - Awesome. I guess Horn Rimmed Glasses guy is good, but maybe not with the same agenda as the rest of the heroes. Can't wait to see what happens with Hiro and the waitress. And does the Indian professor dude have powers, too? Is that what the dreams are about, or were they being sent to him by that kid?

Studio 60 - I'm hanging on, tenuously. I like Matt Perry and Brad Whitford a lot. Mark McKinney of Kids in the Hall and SNL fame is writing now, hopefully to make the sketch show parts funnier. The news read through last week was awful, and not just because Simon's replacement was flubbing the lines. And the commercials for next week are trying to trick us that Matt and his Fundie ex kiss, but it's obviously the British writer chick that kisses him. Isn't she from the original The Office?

Veronica Mars - Awesome! But why is Veronica sweating Logan so much? Lay off, honey. You're not so perfect yourself.

Medium's back! Too bad I haven't watched it yet, so don't say anything about it.

My Name is Earl - Awesome. Good to see Christian Slater working and being funny. That's what he's good at. His Jack Nicholson-esque star turn in "Heathers" was funny. It didn't mean that he could do drama, so he shouldn't. He needs some Paul Rudd type roles in comedies, supporting (and stealing scenes from) comic stars.

The Office - Really good first half. Ed Helms was great, and Creed ogling the breast-feeding woman was hilarious. But by the time Michael and Dwight were trying to push the big guy onto the table, the show started going too far again, like it's been doing a lot this season (beginning with Michael and Oscar's kiss). And not too far in terms of offensiveness, but too far in terms of plausibility. I hope they reign in the urge to be outrageous. You can have funny, awkward situations without going overboard. The Jim and Pam story line was good, but I think they put Jim and the other Stamford girl together too soon. Since when are they dating? They should have let the tension build a bit more with Pam seeing things develop between them.

30 Rock - REALLY good! Funnier than The Office. That's right! It was! You could tell they've added some things to spice it up: putting racier elements in it, using self-aware advertising humor (the Snapple bits). And yes, those things were derivative. They stole the clueless sexuality stuff from "Arrested Development" and the ad stuff from "Wayne's World". But it worked, and it was funny. Alec Baldwin rules that show.

Grey's Anatomy - Good stuff. I'm hooked, I'll admit. It's sentimental, but it gets to me. I'm sure that its story lines will go too far soon, like "ER", but I like the focus on the characters and their humanity.

Maybe this week I'll have more contemporaneous posts. But there's still last week's "Medium" and about 3 weeks of "Numbers" to watch. And some Food Network shows my wife recorded.