Thursday, November 02, 2006

I'm regressing in my blogging

My general malaise in life is going to manifest itself on this blog as TV talk nearly all the time. For some reason, that's all I really care about or think about these days, except for some political stuff which I'll address at the end of the post.

1. The Office - I'll try to satisfy my one fan's desires for recaps while not spoiling anything for another reader. Michael and Dwight are getting stupider, apparently, and their antics are getting a bit over the top this season. Jim, Pam and the supporting cast are where it's at for me. Creed's bits are awesome. Last week's Jim-Pam content at the end (is that vague enough for you, ACW?) was really nice. Looks like it's still there, despite Jim's new coworker.

2. Veronica Mars - I'm liking this very much. I look forward to it more every week. Last week's Elliot-Mya reunion (Enrico Colantoni and Laura San Giacomo from "Just Shoot Me") was cool.

3. Heroes - It's definitely the new Lost, giving creepy twists and turns each week, but only enough to make you angry that they didn't show more. So what's the deal with Ali Larter's character now? Is she dead, or only her bad half? Was she evil all along and not supposed to be among the protagonists? Is the boy's father the good guy? Interesting stuff.

4. Lost - The show may have lost (hehehehe) it's leading status of hip, trippy thriller, but it's still totally awesome. Though the opening of the season premiere ruled, the first two eps were kind of slow. But they've brought it over the past few weeks, and it looks to be getting even better. My only problem (big spoiler alert for those who haven't seen it) is this:

Why did you kill off Mr. Eko?!?!? His past and redemption made him a very sympathetic character, and a strong presence among the Losties, both spiritually and physically. That makes only one Tailie left: Rose's husband. But we already know all of his backstory (presumably). We know nothing of how Mr. Eko got to Australia, and why he was on the plane to the U.S. (or did I miss that part?). Is it any coincidence that he got arrested in Hawaii for a driving violation, and now his character's dead? Just like Cynthia Watros and Michelle Rodriguez last season? Sure, there have been some important plot points brought about because of the Tailies, but if you were just going to kill them off anyway, then why tell such a long story about who they were and how they got to the rest of the group? That just supports the critics of Season 2 who say that the show lost (hehehe) its focus and got mired in slow storytelling and tangents. Oh well, at least we got to see the smoke monster in action. I just wish it had been someone else getting thrown around.

5. Politics - I usually vote Democrat, but don't really identify myself as one. I'm a left-leaning, moderate independent. Democrats can disappoint (John Kerry), annoy (Nancy Pelosi), and frustrate (Hillary Clinton) me like any politician. And I can understand a lot of truly conservative (not mass-media Bush cheerleaders) viewpoints. Even pro-war viewpoints. But how can anyone in their right mind not see today's "Republicans" as just awful, horrible, cynical, opportunistic Super Douche Bags? I just read this editorial from Slate, and even though I already knew this stuff, I got really angry. Not only have these people been virtually controlling the government for 10 years, they've been making their evil method of politicking standard practice for longer than that. Can there ever be a turn around to how it's done now? Can the Grand Old Party ever return to its storied history when it actually did promote equality, responsibility, and fiscal conservatism? What scares me even more is the prospect of entering that bloody arena. I've been interested in entering politics, both state and federal, since high school. Now I don't dare unless I can hire a P.I. to investigate and clear me. But how much can Republicans find? Credit card transactions over 10 years old from accounts that have been closed? Websites visited on computers owned 7 years ago and sold to an anonymous family in another state? The fan letter I wrote in high school to the author of the Rush biography, in which I called the members of the band "divinely inspired"? I shudder to think what I and my family would be subjected to, even though I am secure in the conviction that I am 500 times more virtuous than a lot of people on Capitol Hill.