Wednesday, October 18, 2006

My Son the Jackass

Bear with me, I'm not maligning my son like you think. Just hear the story first:

My 6 year old son loves America's Funniest Home Videos. We DVR it every Sunday and try to watch some of it with him before he goes to bed. We didn't watch it until Monday evening this week, though, when my mother-in-law was visiting. (The extra audience is key to the events about to unfold, I'm sure.) AFV (who has forsaken the letter 'H' in its initials for some reason) has a recurring feature called "Head, Gut, or Groin" where an audience member is shown the beginning of a video clip. The clip is stopped and the audience member must guess whether the person on the video is going to get it in the head, gut, or crotch. Much hilarity ensues.

After the show, my son, having three people in the room to witness his performance, decided to act out the game. He started asking us "Head, gut, or groin?" After our answer, he proceeded to hit himself in the named location and double over on the floor. But then it was time for bed, so we told him to get ready. As he left the living room, though, he wanted to play one more round of "H,G, or G". Someone in the room (I can't remember who) said head. So my very smart son launched his head, at high-speed (although I remember it almost in slow motion), at the cushioned arm of our living room chair. Unfortunately, the cushioning on the chair is deceptive. His head knocked loudly into the wooden frame of the chair as we all gasped.

Luckily he was more shocked than hurt. He held his head and laughed about it while we suppressed our own laughter and lectured him on the importance of not imitating what he sees on TV. Suffice it to say, we will be vigilantly protecting him from all Jackass-related programming for quite some time.

And to all you Kristen Bell haters, I just finished reading all the episode recaps from Seasons 1 and 2 and don't see what's so annoying about her. I really want to watch the eps now. Hopefully I can rent them somewhere.*

*Not a hint to my wife to buy me the show on DVD. You need to be careful with her. She's very good at buying things I mention in passing. And while that's a great quality of hers, Veronica Mars is more of a watch once show for me than a "keep for the ages" show.