Monday, April 14, 2008

Okay, okay, I'll write

Not that you asked me to, I just want to avoid the inevitable clamoring for more Reed. (That's what she said.)

Anyway, here's a short post about things I've been meaning to write about and/or to respond to comments:

1. New show reviews. The two new shows I'm reviewing are either over, or end tonight. How's that for timeliness?

Miss Guided - New half hour comedy on ABC that's already over. Judy Greer is an awesome, hilarious actress. She's also become gorgeous to me, like Tina Fey. Wow, does she shine in a leading role. The show is pretty funny, but some eps better than others. Chris Parnell is hilarious, and really helps the show. I think it's worth a pick up for next season. I have no idea if that call's been made yet, though.

New Amsterdam - Intriguing premise, not undone by the hokey "find true love and the curse will be broken" element. The actor playing John Amsterdam is good at conveying the unnerving yet charismatic immortal detective. Where the show falters a bit is the flashbacks to his life over the last 400 years. Each episode's present-day plot reminds him of an event in his past where he made a mistake, which presumably gives him a shot at redemption. This fails for two reasons: first, his historic occupations of the week are gimmickily (real word?) diverse, like Sam's missions from Quantum Leap; and second, it oversimplifies the human learning process. He learned to respect women who had been victimized by rape in the 1700s, but didn't learn not to cheat on his wife until 1908? I had high hopes for the character's past, but it turns out the flashbacks are the weakest part of the show because they're tied to the plot of the present instead of being plots themselves. The show's still pretty good. Good enough to keep me watching, but not enough to vociferously recommend.

2. Returning show reviews. Loved The Office, very well done. 30 Rock was kind of weak. From the sneak peak in the newest Entertainment Weekly, though, it sounds like it's going to pick up. I haven't watched either of the new Earls, but hope to soon. I love that show. Also, as a plug, if you get the chance on Sunday nights, watch Psych on NBC. It's a really funny show that's normally on USA, but NBC is using it as filler for now. It could use a boost in viewership, and I think it could do well on a main network.

3. Inconspicuous Attack Toad, aka Marisa. Thanks for visiting! Now explain your comment. Absurdist humor, or pertinent observation?